Lasting powers of attorney

Obtaining a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA), whilst you have the mental capacity to do so, means you will have an important legal document that allows one or more people (the attorney) the legal authority to help you make decisions or make decisions on your behalf, look after specific aspects of your property, financial affairs, or health and welfare should you lose the ability to make certain decisions for yourself.

There are two types of Lasting Powers of Attorney:

  • Property and Financial Affairs
  • Health and Welfare

To speak with our Lasting Power of Attorney team, you can call us on 0800 032 14 32 or email

Many people assume that you do not need an LPA till much later in life. However, mental, and physical incapacity can affect us at any time. We recommend early action to lessen the potential burden on loved ones.

Without a correctly registered Lasting Power of Attorney, if you become unable to deal with your affairs for whatever reason, such as losing mental capacity through illness or an accident, your loved ones will have to apply to the Court to make decisions on your behalf. Even if you are married or in a civil partnership, your next of kin or spouse will not have the authority to have the final say about your healthcare, deal with your bank accounts, or other financial affairs. In these circumstances, they will need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as your “Deputy.”

Expert Lasting Power of Attorney Solicitors Blackpool, the Fylde coast and nationwide

Easthams specialises in drawing up Lasting Powers of Attorney and our expert private client team can help you make decisions on some of the essential factors you should consider. We are here to guide you through the process, so you have one less thing to worry about.

For a fixed fee, we can deal with all aspects of completing the Lasting Powers of Attorney forms, and if need be, assist with the whole registration process for you at the Office of the Public Guardian.

Types of lasting powers of attorney

  • Lasting Power of Attorney for Property & Financial Affairs – A property and financial affairs lasting power of attorney deals with decisions about such things as selling your house, paying your bills, or collecting in benefits.
  • Lasting Power of Attorney for Health & Welfare – A health and welfare lasting power of attorney deals with health care and medical decisions such as giving or refusing consent to particular types of health care, including medical treatment decisions or whether you can live in your own home. This can only come into force when you lack the capacity to make these decisions for yourself.

What is an Ordinary Power of Attorney?

An Ordinary Power of Attorney, sometimes known as General Power of Attorney (GPA), or Power of Attorney, is only valid whilst you still have mental capacity, unlike an LPA. A GPA gives someone you trust the legal authority to help you make decisions or make decisions on your behalf about your property and financial affairs. Typically, you can utilise an Ordinary Power of Attorney if you need assistance for a temporary period, for example, if you are:

  • unwell,
  • recovering from an injury,
  • travelling abroad; or,
  • want someone to act for you.

Our expert Lasting Power of Attorney team

At Easthams we will be happy to speak with you regarding all forms of Powers of Attorney and the law surrounding the Court of Protection and the mental capacity act. We will work for you and your family to find the right solution tailored to your situation.

Our qualified team of Lasting Power of Attorney experts have been helping clients in Blackpool and across the Fylde for many years and can we offer you a professional, fast, and efficient service at a great price.

We can also assist with many other private client matters including, Court of Protection, Wills, Probate and Trusts.

To speak with our Lasting Power of Attorney team, please call us on 0800 032 14 32 or email 


Who should I choose?

You can take steps now to make sure that a family member or trusted friend has the right to take care of your affairs for you, following guidelines that you set.