How to make an accident at work compensation claim

We appreciate how stressful accidents and injury at work can be. Easthams personal injury lawyers are on hand to provide sensitive and practical legal advice and guidance on making a claim for an accident at work compensation claim. If needed, we will also refer you to a medical specialist to ensure the full extent of your injuries, including the possibility of any future medical care and expenses, is taken in to account in regard to any final settlement.  We are on hand to make the process as stress-free as possible and will make sure you are fully aware of the process involved.

Below we give an overview of some of the steps you should take if you have an accident or injury at work:

  • Your health should always take priority, so firstly, you should ensure that you receive medical attention and ensure your injuries at treated accordingly.
  • Record your injury or accident in your company’s accident book. Your employer is legally obligated to have one if there are more than 10 employees.
  • If your employer does not have an accident handbook, tell your employer bout the accident and any injuries you sustained in writing.
  • If you suffered as serious injury or accident, then your employer must report it to the Health and Safety department at your local authority. It is your employer that must do this, although you should follow-up to confirm it has been reported.
  • Take note of any potential witnesses – other colleagues or members of the public – of the accident who could support your claim.
  • If possible, take photos of your injury and whatever caused your accident.
  • Make notes of your version of how the accident happened.
  • Ideally you should make an appointment to see your GP as soon as possible. They can record the details of your accident in your medical records, as well as treat your injury.
  • If you need to see a doctor straight away, you can find your local urgent care services on the NHS website.
  • Check your contract to find out if your employer has to give you paid time off for your appointment.
  • If your injuries mean you need time off work, check your contract and your employer’s policy on sickness pay.

If you believe your employer or someone else is fully or partly to blame for your accident or injury, seek the advice of a personal injury lawyer who specialises in accident at work claims.